As I've mentioned before, I am addicted to Pinterest! One of my favorite uses for it is finding recipes. When hubs and I moved in together we combined a lot of things, including our recipes. However, we quickly realized that the dishes he cooked most often are recipes from his childhood and the dishes I cooked most often were from my childhood...and we quickly got sick of those meals. But can you blame us??? I mean almost 30 years worth of the same recipes. So I have been looking for some new ideas AND we have gotten on this Indian food kick.
This weekend I decided to attempt this recipe I found for Indian Chicken Curry
Ingredients:
1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon (this was said to be optional and next time I will not add it)
2 tsp paprika
2 bay leaves
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root (tip: store ginger root in the freezer and then it is really easy to grate)
1 tsp sweetener (maple syrup was suggested and it tasted really good)
salt to taste
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces and cooked
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 lemon, juiced (I forgot to buy a lemon so I used about 2 Tbsp lemon juice from a bottle)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1) Cook chicken pieces through
2) In a large pan (I used the same type of pot we use to cook spaghetti, it was nice and deep to minimize sloshing around) heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned.
3) Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sweetener, and salt. Stir for 2 minutes
4) Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
5) Stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper and serve immediately
Take aways: I served ours with basmati rice. Next time I am going to add golden raisins and split cashews to the dish. And next time I am going to remember to make the Naan (bread).
No comments:
Post a Comment